Search Our Blog

Thursday, November 10, 2011

New Slang

As we get closer to 2012, I'd like to take a look back on some of the latest vocabulary that's entered my vernacular over the past year.

Slang Word: Mrs. Roeth
Origin: My Fantasy Football Team
Definition: To wake up excited on a Sunday only to be disappointed a few hours later
Example:
Me: It’s Easter Sunday! I can’t wait to look for my Easter basket and eat a lot of candy!
Mom: Bob, you’re 27…we don’t give you Easter baskets full of candy anymore
Me: MRS. ROEEEETTTTTH!!!!

Why the fuck was this California Raisin even still coaching in the first place



Slang Word: JoPa
Origin: Curiously uncreative nickname for lifelong coach of Penn State football, Joe Paterno, who was recently fired for his involvement in a child abuse scandal
Definition: To keep a deep dark secret for someone
Example:
Someone named Quico: Yo dude, can I tell you something really personal that you can’t tell anyone?
Me: Yeah definitely
Quico: Alright…I’m actually a hermaphrodite
Me: (shocked/speechless)
Quico: I know…
Me: Well, it’s definitely going to be tough. But I think I can JoPa that one for at least a couple of years.


Slang Word: Lackey
Origin: Last name of Red Sox starting pitcher, John Lackey
Definition: To know something is going to suck, but not realize just how badly it actually is going to suck
Example:
Co-worker: Hey, you ever see that movie Due Date?
Me: Yeah, it was shit.
Co-worker: I know, but it had like, Zach Galifinakas and Robert Downey Jun-
Me: Exactly. It had Lackey written all over it.


Slang Word: Glee
Origin: Hit television show about a bunch of high school kids liberating themselves through glee class, I think
Definition: Something so incredibly irritating, you wonder how masses of people can be so enamored with it
Example:
Radio DJ: And that was the latest single by one of today’s hottest young acts, Passion Pit!!!!
Me: That shit was pretty fucking glee if you ask me

Don't worry doc. All I need is a "few more drips" of propofol and I'll be fine. Trust me, no one will ever find out.



Slang Word: Dr. Conrad Murray
Origin: Michael Jackson’s doctor who evidently caused his death (although I’m personally very skeptical that Michael Jackson wasn’t forcing him to inject him with more drugs)
Definition: Sleeping pills
Example:
Someone who can’t sleep: Pass me the Dr. Conrad Murray’s please?


Put these terms into your everyday conversations and people will surely think you're a weirdo, but an intriguing weirdo at that - like those teenage vampires that all the kids are talking about these days. And if this week was any sign, there will certainly be more slang added to my personal dictionary before the year is nigh. Do stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment